09 November 2004

I saw The Incredibles.

I want to have Brad Bird's babies.

I would also like to point out that, if you loved The Incredibles then I cannot recommend The Iron Giant highly enough. There's even an ultra-spiffy director's cut at long last on its way.

The Iron Giant is quite possibly one of the best films ever made.

I swear to God, that's not hyperbole.

Tim McCanlies (yes, the man who gave us Smallville) and Brad Bird created a movie where not a single moment ever feels false (even tho I think some folks disagree over the ending), and the performances from the voice actors and animators are stunning, and the technology (they developed software which would vary a computer-drawn line in width so that it would blend seemlessly with traditional hand-drawn animation) is amazing, and the late Michael Kamen's score will haunt you.

But more than that, you'll cry like an idiot, and you'll never hear the word Superman the same way ever again.

Ignore what the media says about it (unless it's, you know, raves, in which case, I agree). It was not a failure in any way except financially and that was Warner Bros. fault, not the film's (for example, why oh why was the Burger King Kid's meal tie-in that summer the PG-13 rated The Wild Wild West remake, huh? I want to smack people in the Marketing dept. I really do.). Nor did it signal the death-knell of hand-drawn animation (I think we have Quest for Camelot to blame way way more than IG, for the state of the WB's feature animation dept. going *poof*). It was simply ahead of its time. It got a lot of flack for being rated PG (never mind the MPAA not giving Disney's Mulan a PG rating, which it should have) which scared a lot of parents off, who believe all animation = aimed at toddlers = rated G = should only ever be rated G. It was also pushed out of theatres by the surprise success of The Blair Witch Project and The Sixth Sense and Warner Bros. was too chickenshit to re-release it at Christmas, if I recall correctly.

Just... trust me. Buy it. Rent it. Netflix it. It doesn't matter. You have to, have to, HAVE to see this movie.

No comments: